Our Family Pic October 2008

Our Family Pic October 2008
Still smiling!

Friday, January 16, 2009

Sisters in Sweat

A couple of days a go I was at a store when the lady behind the counter tried to sell me this HUGE chocolate bar for only $1. I have to admit it was a good deal.

I did something that surprised me. I told her,

“No thank you, I am trying to diet.”

( this is something I have always have a hard time admitting.) Why?

Probably because I think I know what the other person is thinking.

For instance:

“ and well you should”

“ it is about time”

“I don’t think it’s working”

I realize now I’m nuts! I realize now that’s the devil talking. I don’t know what that person is thinking and really does it matter?

She ended up saying, “Oh, me too!”

She went on to say how she has been dieting and exercising since Jan 1,and still no loss and she was feeling frustrated. She walks in front of the TV and still nothing.

That’s when I said,

Do you do Leslie Sansone, “Walk away the pounds”?

She said, Yes

I of course said “ ME TOO”

She reaches over and lightly touches my hand and says.

“We’re Sisters in Sweat!” Now if you have ever done the Leslie Sansone DVD”s you would know what we are talking about and find this little remark humorous. IF not just trust me it was quite cute!

I encouraged her to keep on working on her diet and eventually she will see results just keep at it and then I left. (I would have loved to talk more but there was a line behind me forming).

I don’t know if I helped her but she helped me. I have learned it is Ok to put yourself out there. I have learned this before but I am just a really slow learner in this area!

My next point for today is what I do for exercise! You all know how I love to exercise :)

I really try to mix it up some.

In the warm weather I walk outside, ride my bike and also walk/run with my friend Julie. A walk run is when you walk a few minutes then run a few minutes to get your heart rate up then your back to walking, then running, you get it. This is supposed to be helpful in getting rid of belly flab.

In the winter I try to do my walk run on a treadmill 2-3 times a week, then I follow that with a stationery bike ride lifting hand weights for 10 –15 minutes. I like this routine because I usually watch old sitcoms while I do it. Right now I have been watching the Partridge Family. The only bad thing about this exercise is I have to walk out to our rec room that is hooked onto our shop and in this cold weather I have not been very dedicated. ( it really does not take much to deter me)

So I opt for option 2,

I have 3 DVD’s of Leslie Sansone Walk away the pounds.

One is the 5 day fit walk- It has 5 different workouts 2 last 20 mins and the other 3 last 30 minutes. Some use hand weights, some don’t. I usually pick a 30 min workout and maybe follow with 10 mins of weights for my flabby arms. ( I only have 2 and 3 pound weights but is helping, I actually have little muscles)

The other is a three mile walk that takes 45 minutes. I usually only do this one once a week. ( it gets a little long)

The last one I have loaned out for someone else to try. IT has a 1 mile and a 2 mile walk.

If you can watch TV and follow along you can do this.

I usually just put on my tennies and workout in my jammies.

Basically you are walking in place in front of the TV but she also works in other exercises along with it.

Only drawback, these workouts get quite repetitive. I can tell when she giggles and says her encouraging words and calls us Sisters in sweat.

But since I have numerous workouts I spread it out through the week and I also go out to the treadmill and bike and sometimes I even use the schools fitness room. My goal is 30 minutes a day. Sometimes I have to get up at 5:30 on days I sub to get this accomplished.  ( thus the jammie workouts)

Some days I only get in the 1 mile 20 minute workouts but hey, it gets my metabolism going and something is always better then nothing.

Leslie has this little saying on the end of some of her workouts

Aren’t you glad you exercised today!

I always am!

I am just glad she doesn’t say at the start…

Aren’t you glad your exercising?

It takes me awhile to get euphoric about it!

I have bought my DVD’s from eBay , Wal-Mart and I think Target.

One came with a walk belt, some come with hand weights. Some come with nothing. It just depends on the workout. She has a bunch. Some even for Senior Citizens.

I checked the Bluffton Library They have 19 different DVD’s and 2 books by her. 12 are available now. This would be a cheap way to try her out if your interested. I think I might even pick up a different one to change things up a little.

Maybe we will all become

Sister’s in Sweat! :)

5 comments:

  1. Love the Walmart lady story! How true is that - why do we care what people are thinking?!

    Thanks for the tips. I have tried Leslie and really enjoy it. I just need to get to the Library and try it again.

    Oh, and I'm with you on the old TV shows. Klint and I have been in a Dick Van Dyke 'kick' for months now!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susie for all the information on what works for you. I get so bored by myself on the elliptical for 30 minutes with nothing to watch (no tv). Maybe walking in front of the computer to Leslie would mix things up a bit.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you know what? We just got a new Leslie Sansone dvd in the bookstore last week... I don't remember what is it called though. I have a few of her other ones and haven't done them for a long time. You are encouraging- I will have to dig them out. I thought the new one looked good but couldn't justify buying a new one when I am not doing the others!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susie,
    I found your blog through Janel's. I just had to comment. The other night I read all your back ones and laughed but I also got tears once. Thanks for sharing. I am a calorie counter but it is fun modifing recipes we already have. Thanks for sharing yours. I also do Leslie Sansone videos. And just for the record both books and the 4 mile walk are checked out right now, but I will be returning 1 book and the video today:)Keep up the good work you are an inspiration for all of us to keep at it.
    Brenda B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings Sister in Sweat! I also walk along with Leslie and once I'am finished I'm always glad I've walked. Susie you are so inspiring! Keep it up! Have a great day!
    your sister in sweat--Julie L.

    ReplyDelete