Our Family Pic October 2008

Our Family Pic October 2008
Still smiling!

Friday, January 30, 2009

A five day weekend

 

I was sitting here thinking I really should post something when Tyler came in and said…

Hey Mom do you realize we have a five day weekend?

That’s right we are on snow day number three!

Life has really slowed down around here for the three youngest kids and I.

Travis has still had to go to work and college.

Tadd is still at Purdue and classes still go on as usual.

Poor Tim is still on the road every day trucking. This weather just makes his job harder.

But for Tiffani, Troy , Tyler and I life is good!

We have gotten to sleep until the sun shines in our windows. I love waking up to the sun streaming in my windows. Somehow it doesn’t seem as cold! I love my flannel sheets too!

I am feeling very blessed to have a warm house and a warm bed!

Tiff has had to venture out for B-ball practice and went to a neighbors to get the next book in the series she is reading.

She has been stuck twice! Luckily not very stuck! Once in a driveway and once on the road getting over for a truck.

Luckily she knew the driver of the truck and she had her little brother along who she took in case she got stuck and they pushed her out. She has learned not to stop in the middle of a snow drift!

As I looked at my snow covered walk the other day I decided that shoveling it would be a wonderful source of exercise!

So I bundled up and headed out!

I had to trudge all over the farm looking for the snow shovel. It turns out Tim had it with him. I eventually found a shovel. A dirt shovel! But I was on a mission. I was determined to shovel that walk!

image

You know it takes a lot longer to shovel snow with a small dirt shovel!

I was just finishing up ( 40 minutes later )when Tim got home with the snow shovel. Isn’t that like a Murphy’s law or something! But hey, I got my workout and I accomplished something while I was at it!

And I definitely used some new muscles. My shoulders are still sore!

On the workout front. I am pleased to report that I have been faithfully doing something almost everyday, Sundays I usually take off! Exercise is still not a voluntary habit yet but I guess you could call it a forced habit!

Yesterday I decided to head back to the treadmill and bike and give Leslie Sansone a rest!

Now I haven’t been on the treadmill for a few weeks. I was disappointed to discover that after a few minutes of running I was developing a side ache.

So the first mile I ran/walked and the 2nd mile I just briskly walked. It took me almost 25 minutes to get my 2 miles in when I was doing it in under 20 minutes just a few weeks ago.

I am amazed how quickly my body got lazy! Especially since I was doing a Leslie every day. I guess they just target different areas. I want to try the treadmill again today and do a little better!

You know as long as you are doing something high impact or low impact it is better than doing nothing at all!

I just read in a magazine ( Good Housekeeping, Feb/2009 page 44, I have being doing a lot of subbing in English and it is very important to cite your sources :) ) this morning that regular activity cuts your heart attack risk by 50% and lowers the the systolic blood pressure( that is the first number) an impressive 5 pts. with just three 10 minute walks, three days a week. ( this is from an Irish study ) It also discourages the formation of blood clots and shrinks abdominal fat.

That doesn’t seem like much exercise for all the benefits it provides.

Well I am now officially in the middle of my 5 day weekend and still haven’t motivated my Helpers yet or exercised today ( I want to get busy and shrink some abdominal fat) so I better get busy!

Have a great day!

Susie

1 comment:

  1. Glad to be able to leave the house during this 5 day weekend! Glad that Zach's games are on schedule for today! Glad that life is returning to normal again! Trying not to think about going to school in June!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete