Our Family Pic October 2008

Our Family Pic October 2008
Still smiling!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Odds and Ends

 

Yesterday I added a few links to my blog.I thought maybe I should explain them.

Hungry girl is a fun website that I signed up to get a daily email. It has lots of suggestions for products you can buy that are low in points. It also gives a lot of fun recipes of favorite foods that are made over to be more calorie friendly.

Dotti’s Weight Loss Zone is where I go to get point values and food nutrition facts for food at restaurants. Just click on the link, then click on restaurants across the top, then scroll down pass the ads and a list of restaurants should be there. I encourage you just to go there and check out some of your favorite foods at your favorite restaurants it is very eye opening.

Spark people is another website I get a daily email from. I like to read the articles. They are very informative. You can also join and keep track of what you eat and how much you exercise etc… I just like to read the articles but this website really offers a lot.

The best part is all these websites are FREE!

I have had some requests for my Chop Suey recipe. I have a tendency to add more veggies as I go but this is basically how I make it. It is also in one of the Dutch Delight Cook books ( book 2 I think) under my name. But I have revamped it to make it less points. Basically I doubled (tripled somethings) everything except the meat. I like it better this way.

CHOP SUEY

1lb Chopped beef pieces ( like stew meat or roast cut up)

1lb Chopped pork pieces ( pork roast) Brown meat then add 2 cups of water and more as needed Cook for 60 minutes or till meat is tender. I usually simmer until meat starts falling apart.

Add 6-8 cups chopped celery (I add 8)

6 to 8 T soy sauce

2 to 4 cups chopped onion (I add 4)

4 T brown sugar

Simmer this until the veggies are done.

Make a thickening of 3 T Cornstarch

Add 3-4 cans of bean sprouts(drained). I add 4

2 cans of mushrooms (drained)

3 cans drained, sliced Water chestnuts.

I cook this for a few minutes so it is not so beanie sprout tasting. My mom just adds the bean sprouts, mushrooms and water chestnuts and heats it through. But I add more bean sprouts so I cook it a little longer.

Serve over rice and top with a few chow mein noodles ( if you like them, we do, but they add points so I have given them up).

1 cup of Chop Suey = 2 points.

My Mom’s recipe is wonderful even better the next day! Serve over rice I add more Soy sauce to mine on plate. I use Uncle Bens long grain white Rice in Orange box. ( the kind you cook for 20 minutes) Only 3pts per cup. I also like to serve with broccoli.

The celery, bean sprouts, mushrooms,onions and water chestnuts are all basically free foods so I have increased them from the original recipe.

This is really an easy recipe just time consuming because of all the simmering and chopping you do. Also you don’t want the meat to run out of water and burn so you have to watch it and then again with the celery and onions.

I buy my meat at a meat market and ask for beef stew meat and pork roast cut into bite size pieces that are lean ( all fat trimmed off ). I usually call ahead and order it so I can just pick it up and not have to wait.

The other day I told you I was going to make myself some personal jellos. I did, they are gone and I think I will make some more today. (oops I am getting off the subject)  I misinformed you. I told you that I get 5 servings from a box. I actually get 6 personal jellos from a box, but that is actually the big box (2 small boxes).

I hope you all have a great day!

Psalm 46:1

 

No comments:

Post a Comment