Our Family Pic October 2008

Our Family Pic October 2008
Still smiling!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Back to food

 

I was a food snob!

I didn’t like anything light, fat free, sugar free, diet, high fiber, non caffeinated, reduced calories...

I liked creamy, buttery, sweetened, double cheese, double stuffed, caffeinated, thick and rich, in a syrup, the list goes on.

I really thought if I used light, reduced fat, 1%, my recipes wouldn’t taste as good.

Most of the time when I revamp a recipe by adding the fat free soups, fat free or light sour cream, cream cheese, 2% Velveeta or fat free or light cheeses . I can’t really tell. Sometimes there is really no difference.

Sometimes I can tell but it is not huge and its is not bad, it is just a little different.

It doesn’t hurt my family to have less fat in their diet it is really so much better for them.

I feel better knowing that I am cooking healthier for my family.

Now I still can’t get them away from their soft unhealthy white bread (baby steps) but I can control small little adjustments I make to everyday recipes that they don’t even know.

Another trick I use is doubling vegetables in recipes but not the meat. This can help cut points down in a casserole in a hurry. I also may add more beans to a soup. Black beans are my favorite. This adds fiber and protein 2 things that keep you fuller and more satisfied.

Would you believe I didn’t even like beans very much before. ( I still have problems with those huge red kidney beans).

I told you about the containers I use. Now let me show you…

S5030177

This is what is on my diet shelf today.

I have spaghetti, a stir fry, taco soup, mashed potatoes,  sweet potato, corn, peas,broccoli, lemon dessert, strawberry jello, strawberry pie, yogurt, Fat Free Jello pudding, light string cheese, and of course FREE cool whip.

Some of these foods I made specially for Tiff and I others are just left overs that are in portions easy to count. Some I just bought at the grocery store.

All of these foods are easy to grab and eat  ( just as easy as a bag of chips )and nothing here will make me feel guilty for eating it. This a good way to keep your portions in control too.

If I decide that what I cooked for supper is to high in points I can grab one of my meals from the shelf. If I get called into sub, lunch is easy to pack, If I am home alone with refrigerator door syndrome ( that is where you keep opening and shutting the door because you think you want to eat something ) I will grab a broccoli or jello and feel no eaters remorse.

It may take a little extra time to make up food in these containers, It may take a little extra planning, but it is worth it! Your worth it!

So that being said here is one of my all time favorite recipes…

Oh so Yummy!!

S5030172

NO CRUST STRAWBERRY PIE

4 Cups sliced fresh strawberries

1 small box SF cook & serve vanilla pudding

2 Cups water

1 small box SF instant strawberry jello

FF Cool Whip.

Place strawberries in the bottom of a 9” glass pie pan

Mix vanilla pudding and water in a saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring often. Take off heat and add instant Strawberry jello (dry mix). Combine well.

Pour Mixture over strawberries that are in a pie plate. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm. Serve with a dollop of cool Whip. ¼ of pie = 1 pt.

I cut into 6 pieces and am very generous with cool whip and count it for 1 pt.

I also just make it in 6 of my individual containers so it fits on my diet shelf better.

You can tell by the pic that out of six there is only 1 left. ( I hid that one for my lunch) :)

Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. You have done so well Suz! Keep it up. That is a cleaver idea for portions as well!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. suz, i've got to say don't use fat free cheese on a casserole. I did that once on an egg casserole and it formed a rock hard layer across the top. Stick to 2% on that one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for all of your recipe ideas!!! I love to try them!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete