Our Family Pic October 2008

Our Family Pic October 2008
Still smiling!

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

More For Your Money

I will admit it…

Money around here is tight.

I am sure everyone is feeling the pain of this recession.

Dieting and eating healthy is not cheap.

So what is a chubby, frugal trying to be frugal person with a large family to do.

I watch the grocery ads

use coupons

I planted a garden ( green beans are blooming! )

Shop at a grocery discount stores

Avoid Fast Food Restaurants ( They are hard on the pocketbook and my allowed fat intake )

Now don’t get me wrong I am not saying I never go out to eat or to the drive up window I just don’t go much!

Last night we had one of my favorite meals.

Spaghetti.

I love spaghetti!

I have revamped this meal to make it more point friendly for Tiff and I.

I now use the whole wheat spaghetti ( only 3 pts a cup versus 4 pts for regular )

I still make regular pasta for the guys. They don’t appreciate the whole wheat so I don’t force it on them.

I also make zucchini and onions. I steam them and then add them on top of my pasta before I top it with sauce.They are free and add a lot of food to your plate. Plus I love them!

I usually use about 2/3 cup of pasta, 1 cup of the zucchini and onions and 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sauce.

( I try to get minimal amount of meat on my plate )

I am not a huge meat eater and since it adds up on the points I try to leave it in the pan for those in my family that appreciate it more.

So I figure this plate full of food is only 3–4 points.

Depending on the sauce and meat.

I love this meal because it is a cheap meal to fix and it is delicious.

Plus I usually have leftovers. ( I make a lot)

S5030677

So I make up my own little meals and on days when the boys are making their $2.00 Jacks pizza for lunch, Tiff and I enjoy our convenience meals.

I also had these delicious brown and serve rolls that my Mom picked up for me at the Aunt Millies outlet in Ft. Wayne for 49 cents a package sometimes they have these buy one get one free on top of that great price.

S5030678

These are 80 calories, 1 gram of fat, 1 gram of fiber  totaling 1 pt.

Now I also have some from there that are 80 calories, 1 fat and only .5 fiber and they total 2 pts.

So you have to watch labels.

These freeze great so we have them at least once a week.

I love bread so they are a treat.

We also have these inexpensive biscuits with meals. They are 1 pt each. Only problem is they are hard to make yourself stop with just 1.

S5030679

So far I am having a great summer on my very limited budget.

Yesterday I went rollerblading on the greenway with Tiff, Tyler and 2 of Tiff’s Friends.

This is only the 4th time for me on blades and I absolutely love it!

Tim and I went on Sunday and I also bladed 2 times or should I say was dragged around by Tiff in Florida (Hey I was just learning back then!)

I also borrowed my friends nicer blades and either they make a difference or I am getting a lot better.

So if anyone has some nice blades women's size 9 or men's 8 that you no longer use and want to get rid of please let me know I need a pair cheap.

So even though I still don’t know how to brake ( proof being the bruise on my leg when I stopped myself on a bench) I still love it!

Okay I went off track again.

This a a great way to exercise and a cheap fun activity.

Afterward we came home and played cards together. The girls taught us a new game called King Mow and we had floats.

You can have 1/2 cup FREE ice cream and diet Root beer or red pop for only 1 pt.

Last night I had a diet FAYGO red pop float.

My Mom and Tiff chose the diet AW root beer floats.

Everyone else had regular ice cream and regular root beer or red pop floats.

This was a fun, cheap, summer evening.

It also was great exercise and low points!

It was a WIN, WIN situation!

But I have to say the highlight of the evening was at the greenway when I met one of my blog readers and faithful commenter, Lisa.

How cool was that!

Lisa, since you know that I can’t comment back in the comment box because either my computer won’t let me or I don’t have it set right. I just have to say it was great to meet you!

Also I thought to myself on the way home… I can’t believe I just hugged her in my sweaty workout clothes! What a great first impression!

Great minds think alike! :)

I love your comments!

WOW! this post is rather lengthy so I guess I will just have to save some of my other little point and money saving tricks for another day!

SUZ

PS. Go to Hungry Girl here to link to and read about the Cheesecakes Factory high fat and high calorie menu. It is amazing how fattening their food is. Just scroll down to The Buzz and click on the Click Here link.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe the Cheesecake Factory's menu! The best thing on the Specialty Desserts menu is a Goblet of Fresh Strawberries (108cal)...who goes to the Cheesecake Factory to just order strawberries!!!??? Crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i refuse to read the cheesecake factory menu. :)

    Hey, I found a great new low calorie bread for sandwiches. Try Arnold's Sandwich Thins. They are like a thin bun and are 100 calories each. I'm pretty sure they are only one point b/c they have plenty of fiber. Great for hamburger bun alternatives and I've been using them for my turkey sandwich lunch. I love them because I hate eating a sandwich with only one piece of bread. This way I get a top and bottom to my sandwich for the calories that are normally in one slice! They don't necessarily fit in the cheap category, but watch for them to go on sale...

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, Suzie - YOU'RE A DOLL!!!!!!! I hope you put ice on your shins somewhere between the cards and the floats - it looked so painful. Totally wonderful to meet you. I hope our paths cross again - perhaps you should join our little training group on Tuesdays (it's a blast!!!!).
    Second, Kristen - where do you get these Arnold's Sandwhich Thins (store and dept)? - sounds like a winner to me.
    Third, I made a very economical meal yesterday from the Curves wt mgmt phase 1 lunches and dinner section called "Chicken Fried Rice" - I figured it cost only $1.10 per portion and boy was it delicious.
    God Bless you and your family - I love reading your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,

    I found them at Kroger and SuperTarget in the bread aisle. They were a little hard to find b/c they were picked over at Kroger and on the top shelf, but totally worth the hunt. I also used them to make mini pizzas the other night with 2% cheese. yum... I've tried the multi-grain and just bought the whole wheat to try next.

    Happy hunting and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, in my 3rd comment on one post, I'm passing on a great website I just stumbled across -

    http://iateapie.net/

    It has reviews on healthy food that include price in the ratings, a whole section with links to coupons, and healthy eating/ meal tips. yeah! I like the reviews so you can know if something is good before you buy it or if it just tastes like cardboard or fake sugar.

    Ok, this is my last comment for the day, I promise!

    ReplyDelete