Our Family Pic October 2008

Our Family Pic October 2008
Still smiling!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Simply Amazed!

Today is a sharing day for me.

I want to share every once in a while what it was like to be fat. Actually obese.

Man, I really dislike that word. OBESE

Why is it the word skinny doesn’t sound so insulting.

Both words describe. They are just opposites.

One seems so derogatory while the other is a compliment. At least it is to me.

I mean really if someone told me I was skinny I first would think they needed there eyes checked but I wouldn’t be offended.

Now if someone told a skinny person or a fat person they were obese….. Watch Out! This is not a good thing.

Every day I am amazed at how much easier things are when you not hauling around a bunch of extra weight.

Hopping in and out of the car, putting on a seatbelt.

Let me tell you putting on a seatbelt before was no picnic.

First of all I had to stretch and pull and stretch an pull and then I had to find the receiver, not an easy task when you can’t see past your chest and gut.

Now its like “Cool! there it is”

Then there was the inevitable panic of the public restroom.

Some of those stalls are just not designed with fat people in mind. I know your thinking “Handicap stall” I would usually opt for that but have you ever seen how tall those stools are?

I have short legs, not a great combination.

I sort of felt like a weeble wobble.

Restaurant booths were not always friendly either.

You have heard of sucking in to get your pants zipped but have you ever sucked in to sit in a booth. I have! Not very fun! Getting out after eating a huge meal was a challenge too.

Why am I sharing these fat facts with you?

Being fat was a challenge. It took effort and planning. I never wanted to look out of breath or hot because I knew people would be judging watching. It is hard to appear normal when your huffing and puffing with sweat glistening off your forehead.

Maybe that is why I have been able to diet successfully I just channeled my effort and planning into eating and exercise.

Not many people can appreciate the joy of using a public restroom or sliding into a booth or even buckling your seatbelt. I can! It always simply amazes me.

I wonder if this feeling will fade and I will forget.

I hope not!

I want to keep the effort and planning channeled in the right direction!

Plus I enjoy being simply amazed!

 

4 comments:

  1. Susie...you look great! I've never commented on your blog, but I really enjoy reading it when I get a chance. Thanks for sharing your journey with us and for being so open, it has already helped me.
    Tara Reinhard (Grayson's wife)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, What an encouragement you are to those around you! The things you shared today show how much you can relate to those around you- whether they need to get healthier or just be more aware of the struggles of others. Those things you are appreciating since your weight loss are amazing! I am so proud of your success so far- be encouraged at how far you have come and how far you are yet going to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie, thanks again for sharing and for your openness! I really appreciate it, as I am sure all of your blog readers will agree. You truly do inspire us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post!! Thanks for sharing your heart with us. Still waiting on Tuesday with Tim. He doesn't know what he is missing.
    julie l :)

    ReplyDelete