Our Family Pic October 2008

Our Family Pic October 2008
Still smiling!

Thursday, June 4, 2009

On Being Stubborn

 

There are times in our lives when it is OK to be stubborn…

Yesterday was one of them.

I decided it was time to run/jog the 2 miles that I set as my goal.

This was spurred on some by my friend who announced over the weekend that she did it.

WOW! The pressure!

I had it in my mind that It was too much for me.

I am not in good enough shape.

I hate really dislike  running.

I do not look good running.

I am scared I really can’t do it.

Yep, the last one was the kicker.

I was scared to fail.

So I had my son drive me exactly 2 miles down the road and leave me out with just my kleenex and my daughters shuffle and off he went honking all the way by. ( I would have done the same to him) :)

I started my run with fierce determination. I had decided this was going to happen.

Step by Step, pant by pant I went half mile down, then a mile, then 1 mile and a half. I could see my house I was going to make it!

Then it hit the side ache.

So I breathed deeper put on a upbeat song and kept running. ( maybe just a bit slower but I never walked ) a few telephone poles later the pain lessoned and I knew I would make it.

I had too!

I didn’t want to do it again!!  :)

I made it!

Sweet Victory!

I didn’t break any records

I am sure some power walker could probably beat my time.

But I did it!

So sometimes I guess it is OK to be stubborn!!

I have to say it was easier to run towards home then to run away and turn around.

The whole time I was running I kept looking ahead to catch a glimpse of home.

And I kept thinking I need to be this stubborn in my pursuit of my heavenly home. I need to keep my eyes on the prize and step by step, pant by pant I will make it.

It is so much easier to run towards home than away. It is so much easier to run to Jesus then away!

Maybe I will become a runner yet!

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Susie, and WAY TO GO!!!! That is impressive!


    So, are you going to try 3 miles?! Just kidding ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to it all. I am so happy for you, keep it up. It's so much easier to maintain than it is to start from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woohoo! think you'll do it again?
    sarah q

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Susie!!!! Way to go!!!!!!!!! That's sooo fantastic!!!! Too many exclamation points????? What a HUGE accomplishement - how liberated you must feel - YOU DID THAT!!!!
    I LOVE reading your blog - you have such a sweet way of taking a challenge common to many and twisting it a bit to provide an "aha . . . duh-why didn't I think of it that way?" You're awesome. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, insight, and knowledge. God is definitely speaking to us through you - I'll keep listening (or reading as the case may be).
    Great job, Susie! Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Susie! I love your posts (and recipe ideas too). I especially appreciate what you wrote today, "It is so much easier to run towards home than away. It is so much easier to run to Jesus than away!" I love that!
    Thanks, Teresa Cunningham

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Susie! I tried running a little bit the other night and ugh! I hated it! I made a vow to never try running again...Looks like I'm going backwards! Oh well, maybe someday - but for now I'll stick to bike riding and walking - both of which I love! Thanks for the thoughts on working toward our heavenly home. Nice reminder!

    Jessica Fiechter (Nick)

    ReplyDelete