Our Family Pic October 2008

Our Family Pic October 2008
Still smiling!

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mind Games

 

As many of you may have figured out by now I am constantly playing little mind games with myself.

Today is a prime example of the kind of mind games I play to motivate myself.

After the 2 mile goal run I decided that since I really don’t like running I thought I would start out slow and just see where this running thing would go.

So for now I have elected to run 1 mile a week and try to improve my time then move on to a little more distance when I am satisfied with my time.

The 1st time when I ran the 2 miles I averaged about 12 minutes a mile.

Last week I did the mile in about 11 and 1/2 minutes.

Today I ran it in 10 and 1/2 minutes.

So little by little I am improving. Yeah!

Oh and by the way I do exercise more than a mile a week. :)
I actually try for 30 minutes a day.

Okay so back to my theme of the day Mind games.

As I was coming to the last 3/10 of the mile I knew I needed to pick up the pace because I really wanted to complete the mile in 10 minutes.

So I thought to myself I will just pretend there is a bear chasing me…

So in my mind I am arguing with myself…

There are no bears in Indiana…

Okay so there is a dog chasing me…

reasonable enough…

Although I picked this road because  there are no dogs and I really don’t like the idea of dogs chasing me.

Hmmm… I know instead of something chasing me I will run toward something….

Like my family cheering me on Although you don’t know my family they would probably be teasing me and I really am not in the mood for teasing today.

Okay how about one of my children is in danger and I am running to save them but what if I don’t get to them on time… I can’t have that.

Finally the perfect goal…

I am running to Jesus and the final finish line and ultimate goal…. Heaven!

And there is my Dad! Waiting for me and cheering me on!

Just the thought of this turned me into a crying, jogging, emotional wreck. In a good way of course!

So if anyone was out in the country today and passed a crying, jogging 40ish woman in red capris and a grey T-shirt with JETS on it.. That was me and I am alright.

I was just playing mind games with myself.

Didn’t Work!

Although I finally get what my Elementary Principal was talking about at all those Track Meets.

He always would say everyone who crossed the finish line was a winner.

I was like Okay then how come only the first 6 places  get ribbons.

But now I really get it when we cross that final finish line we will all be winners just as long as we finish the race.

I can get really Philosophical in 3/10 of a mile can’t I?

Actually it took me about 4/10 of a mile on the walk back to finally get a hold of myself.

Oh and by the way when I got home and told this story to my family and of course started tearing up again they thought it was hilarious and had me repeat to each new family member who came home. ( thus the reason them cheering me on got booted from my mind game) Really they are great!!

Although I finally refused to tell it after the 3rd time.

And yes I teared up just typing this out!

So maybe the next time I am out jogging to get that 10 minute mile I will just picture a giant Ice Cream cone at the end.

Oh wait,

That won’t work I am trying to lose weight! :)

5 comments:

  1. Great post, Susie! Thanks for sharing your success with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Susie, I just love you! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie--another great post!! Can't believe that Bible School is half over and I have not even got to tell you HI. So HI since I don't get to see you. Keep up all the great work on the running!! julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. susie,
    great job with the jogging goal! i had a lot of fun walking with you on saturday. you're a great encouragement to me and many others. thanks for being so open with us! hope to see you at the neighborhood walk tonight (or some monday night)!
    sarah q

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog Susie--and yes, it made me cry too. You are such an encouragement to so many people. Love you!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete