Our Family Pic October 2008

Our Family Pic October 2008
Still smiling!

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Street Fair Week

 

Street Fair is here!

I am probably not going to win the biggest fan of street fair week award. Plus I think it will go to someone in the Claire Yergler family anyways.

It always clogs up Bluffton, I think it is a money pit and although the food is delicious it is not diet friendly.

Now don’t get me wrong they do have veggies, sadly they are battered and deep fried!

It is fun to walk through the streets and see people you haven’t seen in awhile.

I used to love street fair as a kid, couldn’t wait for it to come to town. It was like Disney World right here in Indiana.

I had 2 bad experiences at Street Fair both during my middle school years. My wallet was stolen, I think I set it down while playing a game and possibly the carnival worker picked it up? I guess I will never know for sure…

And I threw up in the Spider ride during the spinning. Not a pretty sight and to this day my stomach does a flip flop just passing by it.

Isn’t it funny how perspectives change?

Anyways last night I headed up there for that once a year experience.

Of course I wanted to try everything, But I did limit myself to 2 pineapple dolewhips. ( they are supposed to be fat free) A bite of Tim’s Wall-eye sandwich and some of Tyler’s Cotton Candy.

My second dolewhip was really from a new vendor this year close to the industrial tent and I think it was a lemon lime twist actually. ( I still call it a dolewhip because it was still fat Free and very delicious. )  On taking the first bite it fell out of the cone and onto my chest but never fear I caught it and shoved it right back on my cone. So I was a little sticky the rest of the evening. I think this was Tim’s favorite part of the evening.

I also took Michaels advice here and lost $2.50 on #23 playing the mouse game. Okay so maybe I didn’t yell go Minnie go but I did say it in my mind silently every time.

If you are heading to the street fair and don’t want to blow your diet completely I would suggest eating a taco potato, go light on the cheese and sour cream, and ask for 1/2 the meat and more lettuce, onions and tomatoes, The Pineapple whips, ( I may have to go back up for just 1 more of these) and I think the zum sticks probably wouldn’t be to bad.

The Street Fair maybe isn’t my favorite thing anymore but somehow I always manage to get there at least once! :)

Suz

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Susie!! So funny!

    I must say, diet or no diet: you're a party pooper! Only 1 time?!

    Actually, I haven't been as hard core this year - I think it must be the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The street fair - GREAT POST!!!!! Totally timely :) My husband LOVES to eat ALL things at the street fair (in fact, he did a bit too much eating there last night and still has a tummy ache tonight so . . . . we had soup tonight). Notheless, he introduced me to the whole smorgesboard of fair deep fried goodness last year - it's pretty yummy and ohhhh sooo unhealthy. He also introduced me to a new way to actually get to the fair - walk from home. It's just over 3 miles round trip plus God only knows how much walking around to every nook and cranny of the fair. It's not exactly a perfect trade off with calories in (fair food goodness) versus calories out (3+ mile walk), but at least it was something.

    Other healthier options at the fair - a woman from Curves told me that the House of Hope has a booth near the giant slide (probably across from D&D fish or thereabouts) that has authentic freshly prepared Mexican food made with tons of fresh veggies and ingredients. She's mindful of her diet and reported to those of working out today that the pinches, tacos, and quisadillas are awesome.

    I just have to report one more thing -sorry for the long comment, but it's super exciting and I count you among my very few cheerleaders. I have been preparing to walk a 5K next Friday night in Kokomo. My training partner stood me up tonight (too rainy she said) so I went on my own. Up till now, I've probably only run a total of 8 minutes at a time and totally felt like I was dying every second- - - tonight, all by myself in the rain, I jogged 30 minutes all at once - no stopping, no walking, no whimping out. I think it was 2 1/2 miles. I discovered the technique/speed while walking home from the street fair last night. I started this little jogging thing and saw how much further I was getting ahead of my husband and announced, "I could do this for a long time. It's easy." So, tonight, I tried it - first I thought about going just 5 minutes, then I did 5 more, and 5 more, and 5 more and then the last 10 minutes I had to think about just doing one more minute, one more minute, until I said well heck, I've done 27 minutes I have to dig deep and do 30 - so . .. . I did!!! So now, I might consider jogging the 5K next Friday night - or at least a significant portion of it. I can't thank you enough for your motivational blog (and having the chance to meet you) which has given me confidence to try- priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie, it is hard to believe I'm related to Claire's family, but I have not been a street fair food lover for a long time. I think I am totally brainwashed that it is bad for you:) However, I'm glad to hear about the House of Hope place...I usually do get a taco salad or something like that at the fair...and also the dole whip - glad to hear about a new place for that too...thanks for the post...
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had to tell you - I won third place for my age group last night in the Girls Night Out 5K over in Kokomo. There were over 400 women in the race. I owe you soooo much. I have really turned the corner in my attitude toward exercise and currently don't view it so negatively! Thanks for your blog -what an inspiration. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Susie,
    I have discovered something that I just had to share with you. Once upon a time, you blogged about chewing gum. I have discovered 2 new kinds of gum that you just HAVE to know about. First, Orbit Mist is amazingly tasty and long lasting. I like the peppermint version. The watermelon flavor is pretty gross - skip it. I LOVE it for my run/walks - it holds the mouth moisture perfectly for the entire torture. Second, is Extra Fruit Sensation. Sweet watermelon is awesome. Berry Pearadise is okay (it tastes a lot like grape buba yum - kickin' it a bit ol'skool). Curves gave this gum away as a prize in a contest and I just HAVE to say that at the end of dinner when I usually think I need dessert, I grab a stick of the Sweet Watermelon and it truly satisfies the craving. There is one other flavor of the Extra Sensations called Berry Smoothie - it must be pretty good because it is NEVER in stock at any of the stores EVER - there's always an empty box :( Just had to share. Happy Chewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Susie,
    I miss you! I hope you are well. I know you are always in search of cheap and healthy meals and boy do I have one for you.

    It's called nacho chicken wraps -
    Ingredients:
    1 c finely crushed Doritos (I used baked)
    Leaf lettuce
    Whole wheat tortillas
    Miracle whip (though, I skipped this)
    1 egg
    shredded mozerella cheese
    2 small chicken breasts - cut into 1 inch strips
    salsa or sliced tomato (or I suppose both)

    Directions:
    wisk an egg in a shallow bowl. Put crushed Doritos in second shallow bowl. Dip chicken breast strips in egg and then roll them in the Dorito crumbs. Place all in a 9X13 pan (or you could use a cookie sheet, or baking stone). Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. In wrap, place miracle whip, lettuce, shredded cheese, and about 3 chunks of chicken. I also topped it with salsa (I think the original recipe called for sliced tomatoes - I'm not a tomato eater so . . . I went with salsa). Wrap it up - YUM!!!!!! It was light but filling. The chicken chunks were super delicious (like little chicken nuggets) alone. This made 4 large wraps - so you might have to supersize the recipe if you have more people to feed.
    Hope you try it and enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete