Our Family Pic October 2008

Our Family Pic October 2008
Still smiling!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I love Avocados!

It is never to late to teach an old dog new tricks or so the saying goes…

Here I am 40 years old and I have just discovered that I love Avocados and Guacamole.

My nieces Amy and Kristen made the best Guacamole at the lakes over vacation.

I am hoping I can get them to post their recipe.

It was so yummy! And very low points and oh so good for you!

I was very interested in the whole process…lots of chopping, onions, garlic, serrano peppers, tomatoes, cilantro and of course of Avocados, oh and fresh lime.

Click here to find out the benefits and nutrition facts of an  avocado. It is amazing.

I would type more of the amazing benefits myself if not for the injury I incurred while trying to appear the expert on how to cut an Avocado!

To me avocados are not an attractive fruit.

They are hard and anywhere from green to almost black.

Turns out the black ones are the ones you want unless you have a few days for the green ones to ripen.

A ripe avocado is dark green to black and is I hate to say soft, but isn’t hard, still firm but gives when you press on it. Can you tell from the pic which are the ripest 2?

S5030876

 

If you said 1 and 5 you are correct. I have had them on my counter for a few days now.

Turns out you don’t peel these bad boys!

You carefully cut down the middle all around the pit.

S5030877

Now my niece Amy told me that the ladies in Mexico. ( avocados are cheap and standard fare down there ) just take the knives and hit or whack the pit so it stick to the knife and pull it right out.

S5030879

So it looks something like this.

Although I am not a talented Mexican lady so mine really looked like this…

S5030878

And I will spare you the gory details but now my finger looks like this…

S5030882

Yes it hurts! Yes I am dumb! No I don’t need stitches, Yes it really bled! (Don’t worry none got on the Avocado. WHEW! ) Yes it is going to be a pain to wash my hair for the next few days.

Needless to say Cutco knives are very sharp!

I recommend just flipping the pit out unless you are truly experienced.

Now I like Avocados plain and with salt for a snack they are very satisfying.

1 ounce is 1 point so a small avocado like my ripe ones are between 3 and 4 points. So I don’t eat a whole one.

They are delicious to spread on a wrap or a sandwich thin especially with mesquite turkey and tomatoes.

I store the rest in a container with the pit.

Amy told me this will help it not to turn brown so fast.

She also throws the pits into her guacamole for the same reason.

Although you may want to warn your guests if they are not familiar with this practice. (Those big pits could be painful! )

S5030884

Here is the half I didn’t eat all snuggled up to the pit. Notice how neat the empty peel is.

It scoops out great!

S5030883

Amy also taught me to score it in its peel if you want to mash it or have chunks.

I would have more to write but my finger is throbbing.

For you who already knew all these fascinating facts about avocados I’m sorry but up until a few months ago I wasn’t sure what they were, not to mention how would you ever peel it!

And now today I learned I probably should never whack the pit again!

If anyone has any other ideas for this amazing food please share!

Suz

7 comments:

  1. Great post. I made guacamole last night. yum. :)

    So, I just read a recipe today for a vegan chocolate cake that uses an avocado in the recipe for the fat instead of oil and eggs. Intriguing. I had a friend who tried it and says you can't taste the avocado. (Although I think you can in the icing). So, there's a new use for you! :) Recipe here:

    http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2009/07/vegan-chocolate-avocado-cake/

    PS - in case you haven't noticed, I'm bored! First to comment on your blog 2 days in a row. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. agree to agree! :)

    i love avocados!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love guacamole, but haven't really tried avocados alone...I'll give it a try! Thanks, Suzie!

    Jessica (n)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried guacamole several times and each time I have not liked it. Your post makes me want to try again!.

    And the Cutco knife ... you are so right! I have sliced the tips of several fingers. They are the best knives ever. I have had mine for, goodness close to 8 years I think, haven't had them sharpened once, and they are amazing still! You have to be sooooooo careful with them though. Hope your finger is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You crack me up! Love the cutco knife part - not that you got hurt, just how you wrote it ;)

    Love avocados. Emitt will eat it spread on a piece of toast. So healthy and he doesn't even know it ;)

    Great demonstration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two days in a row - Susie! I'm giddy! Loved your post - so glad you shared your new joy. I've seen people on the food network stab that pit a million times - looks so darn easy on TV - they never warn about the potential downside of bodily harm - glad to have been given the head's up . . . though very sorry you got hurt (thanks for covering the basics, "yes you're fine, no you don't need stitches, yes it bled - a lot, will be fine") I never had the guts to try avocados until now - reading your blog has given me some confidence to try - thanks for the inspiration. Hope your finger gets well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ive just discovered avacado too! i have just fixed them with tomato, cilantro, salt & some lime for a quick treat!! i love it!!

    ReplyDelete