Our Family Pic October 2008

Our Family Pic October 2008
Still smiling!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bucket List

 

I really don’t have a bucket list.

Although anytime I do something new I tell people I can cross that off my bucket list.

No pressure this way! :)

When I rollerbladed last year I crossed that off my bucket list.

When I water skied for the first time in 17 years I crossed that off my bucket list.

When I ran 2 miles I crossed that off.

I swam with sharks… (Are you impressed?)

Okay truth be told it was at Typhoon Lagoons Shark Reef and the sharks were the kind that are only a foot long and probably pretty harmless.

Hey but they were still sharks!

(again you realize I only cross this off in my head, there is no list)

Flying for the first time after 18 years … The list goes on.

Mostly it is things I have been wary of or let’s be honest, not physically able to because of my weight.

Yesterday at the age of 41 I gave blood for the first time.

We had a blood drive at the School I sub at.

This is kind off embarrassing as everyone else is 16-18 giving blood.

They also give you a different color name sticker if it is your first time.

Some of the kids were like…

Mrs. Tonner, is this really your 1st time?

I was like…. yes…

Their response…Cool!

Gotta love teenagers!

Why have I never given blood before?

1. Needles aren’t my favorite thing.

2. I don’t have time.

3. Not fond of pain

But the real reason is….

I never wanted to be weighed or tell anyone my weight. This isn’t nearly as big of issue as it was 160 pounds ago.

Yesterday all morning I debated over this donation.

It finally boiled down to me just deciding to do it.

Yesterday was Troy’s 1st time too. (He is 16)

All of my older children are donors.

If they can do it I should be able to also.

I headed for the gym

walked in

realized I forgot my ID

headed back to get it, (wondering if this was a sign)

headed back to the gym

signed in

read information

waited some more ( still wondering if I could back out)

Not really an option as too many of my students were waiting with me.

name called

finger stuck ( iron test)

I have really good blood ( must be all that broccoli I eat)

blood pressure taken--- slightly elevated ---white coat syndrome kicking in. I told her I would probably need a large cuff

She said, Why?

I said because I have a huge arm

She said… I didn’t need a large arm cuff.

I was amazed!

Old habits die hard

interview with lots of questions

Weight question asked….

I whispered my answer

She didn’t look shocked.

Guess that was Okay too!

signed paperwork

headed for the chair

Seems I have good veins too

I talked a lot to the ladies working

They talked to me about their jobs and lives

I talk a lot when I am nervous

( Alright, I talk a lot when I am not nervous too)

Blood donation over

Wasn’t bad

I want to do it again

It seems like such a easy thing to do to help other people out.

And after all I have really good blood! :)

I wonder if they tell that to everybody?

What’s on your bucket list?

Have a great Day!

Suz

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sue,

    I have never given blood either! I am scared of needles, plus with traveling in Mexico, they can limit it, although your story inspires me to try it!
    love,
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bucket list - like you, no official list, but . .. I'm thinking I would like to:
    1. jog a 10K
    2. wear size 12-14 jeans again one day sooner rather than later (I truly hope)
    3. see a COLTS game live in person
    4. visit a warm sunny island in the caribean with aqua color water

    Congrats on the blood donation!!! I've done it 3 times but really don't want to do it again - you're awesome!!!!!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to go to the Holy Land with Ray Vanderlaan (That the World May Know). However, I really should begin by watching his video series. If I watch it on video, it might satisfy my desire to actually go there and I could cross if off my bucket list, right? I'd also like to get to Switzerland and meet some relatives and learn more about my ancestors. I probably need to do some research on my geneology at the Ft. Wayne library and watch DVDs on Switzerland! I'd also like to have the courage to climb to the top of our grain leg. Congrats on giving blood for the first time! Thanks for such a fun post.

    ReplyDelete